You just can't beat a homemade sausage roll. These mini rolls are brushed with onion jam before baking, making them extra tasty.
- 500g pork mince
- 115g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 112g (1/3 cup) caramelised onion jam, plus 2 tablespoons extra, plus extra to glaze
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 1 small zucchini, finely grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 100g pancetta or prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 sheets puff pastry sheets
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Line two oven trays with non-stick baking paper. Combine pork mince, breadcrumbs, egg, onion jam, carrot, zucchini, pancetta and 1/2 the carraway seeds in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Divide mixture into 6.
Cut each pastry sheet in half. Place a portion of mince mixture down the centre of each pastry strip. Combine milk and 2 tablespoons onion jam. Brush pastry edges lightly with mixture. Roll up to enclose pork mixture and seal.
Turn rolls over, seam-side down. Cut each into 6 pieces and place on prepared trays. Brush with milk mixture and scatter with sesame seeds, salt flakes and remaining carraway. Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Lightly brush warm hot sausage rolls with extra warmed onion jam.